Meditation + Mindfulness Tip: Create Your Own Mandala
Inspired by our #MindfulMay campaign, I decided the other day to start an artist meditation after finishing my morning mala meditation + yoga ritual. I was in a great mindset to express my thoughts artistically after having just focused on the present moment, and it was a fun extension to my regular routine, adding a little color and energy to jumpstart my morning.
While doing my artist meditation today, I asked myself, "Who am I?" and decided to answer it honestly on paper. Since our authentic selves are rooted in our soul and the heart holds the strings to the soul, I thought, "Wouldn't it be fun to create my own personal mandala in the shape of a heart, representing my authentic soul?"
So I drew a large, freehanded, open heart in the middle of a blank page of my sketchbook. Then alongside my initials, I put the first word that came to mind when I think of myself. I then proceeded to write words around the outline of the heart—nouns and adjectives that I truly feel describe me. Here's how it turned out:
I encourage you to try this, too, as soon as you get the chance. It's amazing what happens when you translate your feelings about yourself into written words via your own hands.
Not sure where to begin? Here are a few simple steps to making your own personal heart mandala :
1. Using either a blank page of a sketchbook or a piece of paper, take a black pen and draw a large heart in the center of the page.
2. In the middle of the heart, write the first positive word that comes to mind when you ask yourself, "Who am I?"
3. Write your initials behind the word you just wrote down that authentically describes yourself.
4. Fill in the perimeter of the heart with other words that represent your true self.
5. Sign your masterpiece and date it in the bottom right corner so you can remember how you felt about yourself at this particular moment.